Swift and devastating, hailstorms can wreak havoc, inflicting swift damage upon structures, outdoor gear, and vehicles within mere minutes. This phenomenon poses a significant threat to proprietors of commercial properties, as the aftermath entails ruined assets, exorbitant repairs, operational disturbances and forfeiture of earnings. Learn more about the potential threat of hailstorms and how you can prevent damage to your commercial property below.
Hazards of Hail
As evidenced by Verisk, a data analytics firm, their 2021 report "Hail Hazard and Its Impact on Property Insurance" unveiled that the year 2020 saw 6.2 million properties in the United States beset by one or more ruinous hail occurrences, culminating in nearly $14.2 billion in losses. Enterprises nestled in regions prone to hailstorms are susceptible to grave impairment of machinery and components, encompassing:
- Roof-mounted heating, ventilation, and air conditioning systems
- Cooling towers
- Exposed glass and plastic elements of outdoor installations
Restoring a structure marred by hail can exact a substantial toll in terms of both time and finances. In fact, severe structural deterioration can precipitate operational interruptions, ranging from shutdowns to curtailed activities, precipitating revenue losses and undermining a business's standing amongst stakeholders and patrons.
Prevent Hail Damage
In an endeavor to curtail the potential fallout of hailstorms, proprietors of commercial properties must adopt a proactive stance in fortifying their premises. To this end, they can undertake the ensuing measures to shield their holdings:
- Undertake regular roof assessments, replacing any areas exhibiting wear or frailty, as these zones could exacerbate following a hailstorm. Employing roofing materials with a "severe hail" or "Class 4" impact-resistant designation can also curtail the extent of hail-inflicted harm.
- Employ rooftop equipment and safeguards engineered to endure hail. Incorporate hail guards, shields, and wire mesh to shield rooftop installations from hail-induced harm.
- Embed windows featuring impact-resistant glass. Safeguard windows from hail by deploying impact-resistant glass, which is inherently less susceptible to shattering than conventional glass.
- Stay attuned to weather forecasts. Remain vigilant about local meteorological forecasts, enabling the relocation of valuables and machinery to secure spaces prior to the onset of severe weather.
Get Commercial Property Insurance
By dedicating the effort to institute precautionary steps, owners of commercial properties can mitigate the ramifications of hailstorms on their premises. To acquire further insights, reach out to The Mike Dyer Agency today. Our team of agents will help you learn more about your commercial property insurance and provide you with a free quote.
This blog is intended for informational and educational use only. It is not exhaustive and should not be construed as legal advice. Please contact your insurance professional for further information.